The first steamboat - the DS WILHELM - was introduced on Bodensee (Lake Constance) in 1824 for
transportation of passengers and cargo between Rorschach (Switzerland) and Friedrichshafen
A second steamboat - the DS MAX JOSEPH - was supposed to operate between Lindau and Konstanz,
but this goal could not be realized, because of heavy resistance of the sailboat companies.
But around 1830 more of steamboat organizations and companies had been founded. In 1840 already
8 steamboats had been in service on Bodensee. The sailboat freighters disappeared completely
not until around 1900. In 1911 the "Royal Wuerttembergian Steamship Association" had
already 6 steamboats in operation.
On January 11th, 1913 the HOHENTWIEL was launched on the shipyard of Friedrichshafen.
The boat is a typical shovelboat steamer, like being build between 1870 und 1914, and it is at
the same time the last build steamboat within this period.
With about 950 PS (approx. 1200 HP) the boat achieved a max. velocity of 16 knots (ca.30 km/hr)
and it was designed for 700 passengers. The crew consisted of: 1 Captain, 1 First Mate, 1 Machinist,
2 Fireman and 3 Ordinary Seaman.
40 steamboats had been cruising on Bodensee in 1914. Between 1954 and 1967 one after another steamboat
had been taken out of service - only the HOHENTWIEL escaped from scrapping. She was discharged in
1962 and was used as restaurant and clubhouse in Austria. Because of various modifications, the boat
lost over the years more and more of the original appearance.
1986 a private group took initiative and started with restoration of the boat, which had only scrap
value left at this time. It was their goal, to bring the ship back into the original condition.
After 4 years of hard work, on Mai 17th, 1990 the, in new splendor appearing HOHENTWIEL,
was second time brought back into service after having been "Sleeping Beauty" for 77 years.